Tuesday, October 5, 2010
On the road - AGAIN!!!
Leaving Portland Fairview Park and Visiting Ft. Bragg, CA
We left Portland, OR, on Friday, Oct. 1, and headed south. We had our extra passenger, Cookie, traveling with us. I'm happy to report she did very well on the trip and is now in her new home with our granddaughter. Julia was very surprised and thrilled to get her new cat and they are already best friends. Cookie loves to be loved so she will fit in well with them. I don't know if she's met Hazel (the dog) yet, because we dropped her off and then headed for the coast. They have company for the week and we thought it was better to let them enjoy their company and we'd spend more time with them next week.
We are in Ft. Bragg, CA, and it's beautiful here. We are going to start exploring today. We were lucky to find a beautiful RV park amongst all the really awful ones in the area. There are some of the worst RV parks here we've ever seen! This one reminds us of the Wilderness RV Park at Disney world in Florida.
To back track a little - on Friday we decided we'd head for Hwy 101 and travel the coast down to Ukiah. Remember, I'm following Tom in the car now. We were heading west across to Florence, when suddenly, Tom turned south on a little road. He said that our GPS told him it was a bypass of Florence to go to Coos Bay which was our destination for the first night. The "bypass" started out as a two lane asphalt road. After about 10 miles, it narrowed to a one lane road. A few miles latter it turned out to be a dirt road for about 25 miles.It was very winding, very steep in places and slick as it was misting that day. Following Tom, I Kept seeing his curb side going so close to the edge of the "road" that it was scary. I called him on the walkie and told him he needed to make wider turns. He said he was already on the top of the crown of the curve when he went around it. One time he actually slipped off the side. toward the ditch! I thought for sure we were going to have to call out a wrecker. There was no place to turn around and no other cars the whole time - which was a good thing because it was a very narrow, one lane road. What should have taken less than an hour to get to Florence from where we turned off, took us almost two hours as we could only go 10 to 15 miles an hour. I was so glad I wasn't in the truck with Tom as he was not a happy camper. He was so mad at himself for following the GPS! We decided to stay in Florence that night because we were exhausted from our trek along the mountain ridge. We decided to get up early on Saturday to make a little better time. As we attempted to put the TV antenna down, there was no sound of the motor running. Tom had to climb up to the roof, check it out and then finally, take a screw driver to loosen the screws to put it down. We didn't get on the road until 11:00 am. The rest of the trip to Ukiah was uneventful (thank goodness) and we arrived early afternoon on Sunday at our daughter's house. Now we have a week to just relax and enjoy the coast - very beautiful and wild here. There are a lot of cliffs that overlook the ocean and the views are spectacular. We plan to go to Monticello this week where "Same Time Next Year" and "Overboard" were made. There are plenty of things to see here so we're sure we'll run out of time before we run out of things to see and do. My knee is doing so well now - no pain at all - so we'll be able to do some walking. We're calling this our vacation - yes even though we live full time in our 5Th wheel, we still need a vacation now and then. Life is so good for us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
wow..that sounds like a very scary ride! I'm glad you made it safely and can enjoy the sights. Loralie
You are in a neat place to visit. I'll bet your having more fun than setting in the bleachers at Green Valley Raceway drinking Pearl beer.
Wow..I am glad you made it to Florence safely! I am curious as to which road you took.
BTW...the hummingbird is an "Anna's Hummngbird" You can see a slide show of some of them along with a black chinned and Rufous Hummers on my blog.
Enjoy the coast..I am envious!!
Post a Comment